Midday, Day 2: Martin top after a damp start
The Spaniard sits a tenth clear of Oliveira after the morning session was hampered by overnight rain in Malaysia
It’s been a quiet start to proceedings on the second day of the Official MotoGP™ Sepang Test as the riders and teams were greeted with a damp track on Saturday morning. With it not being fully wet nor fully dry, little track action happened in the early hours of the morning session.
Approaching lunch though, conditions improved to allow some slick tyre running to be put in ahead of what is hoped to be a dry afternoon at the Sepang International Circuit – the weather radar suggests it might not be though.
GET A FREE TRIAL FOR VIDEOPASS & TIMINGPASS!
WATCH: A damp Day 2 kicks off in Sepang!
Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) currently leads the way with a 1:58.736, 0.103s ahead of Miguel Oliveira (RNF MotoGP™ Team), with the fastest times now under half a second shy of what Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) posted on Day 1. Incidentally, the latter crashed unhurt at Turn 5 just before midday.
Jack Miller (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) was – unsurprisingly – the first rider out on track in the iffy conditions, and it was his improving times that set the ball rolling for others to join him out on track. His teammate Brad Binder, along with Pol Espargaro (GASGAS Factory Racing Tech3) – who sits third halfway through Day 2 – have been testing KTM’s 2023 aero package on Saturday.
Stay tuned for After The Flag LIVE at 17:30 local time (GMT+8) for all the latest, including all the technical updates from Simon Crafar, plus live interviews from some of your favourite riders. Don’t forget to keep up with the action via Live Timing, and stay tuned to motogp.com for highlights, interviews, and an in-depth end of day report.
Top 10 (times as of 14:00 local time):
1. Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) – 1:58.736
2. Miguel Oliveira (RNF MotoGP™ Team) + 0.103
3. Pol Espargaro (GASGAS Facotory Racing Tech3) + 0.145
4. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) + 0.161
5. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.331
6. Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) + 0.382
7. Alex Rins (LCR Honda Castrol) + 0.427
8. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.494
9. Franco Morbidelli (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) + 0.553
10. Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) + 0.625